Are you ready to learn how to make marijuana shatter and wax? As well as an overview of BHO concentrates, how to use them, and how to create shatter from the comfort of your own home, this article includes a distinction between the two.
What is Shatter?
Shatter is a cannabis concentrate composed of hard glass-like texture that breaks into shards like glass when broken. It’s a yellow-to-amber colored concentrate produced in a solvent-based butane-hash oil extraction method. Shatter, like other solvent-based concentrates, is often dabbed, however it may be consumed in many different ways because it melts readily. Shatter generally has an average THC concentration of 80 to 90 percent.
How is Shatter Made?
Shatter is produced in a solvent-based extraction technique that includes butane, ethanol, or CO2. Most shatters are created using butane, which is why they’re sometimes referred to as BHO. Cannabis is pushed into a tube in a BHO hydrocarbon extraction process, and solvents are circulated through the plant material to remove cannabinoids and terpenes.
Butane hash oil, or BHO, is the end result of this process. It’s subsequently purged of any residual solvents and winterized to get rid of any excess oils and lipids. shatter is purged then flattened to finish evaporating unlike other concentrates. As it cools, it becomes hard and takes on a glass-like texture.
How to make dabs
While you may produce shatter at home, it’s best left to the professionals with high-tech lab equipment. Making BHO concentrates is hazardous since butane fumes are inflammable and frequently result in house fires. When shatter is created, it produces a variety of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air. They’re also laboratory certified, so buying a gram of shatter instead of creating it yourself will save you time, effort, and money.
How to Make Shatter: a step by step guide
Are you interested in making dabs at home? Learn how to make your own shatter using our comprehensive tutorial. You may also follow the optional procedures at the end of the process to create cannabis wax. THC wax and shatter may be produced using the same technique.
To make roughly 3.5g of shatter, you will need:
- 1 oz of weed, pre-ground and laid out to dry for about 2 hours
- Glass extraction tube
- 12-oz Butane canister, plus extra
- Coffee filters
- Double boiler and an electric stove
- Borosillicate glass dish for collection (Pyrex)
- Parchment paper
- Razor blades
- 3 cfm one-stage vac pump
Step one: Fill your extraction tube with weed
Honey oil extractors can be found at most headshops or purchased on Amazon. Fill it halfway with marijuana and lightly but not tightly pack it. Butane should be able to permeate all of the bud, yet air pockets are undesirable.
Step 2: Soak your weed with butane
Make sure you do this away from any sources of fire. To begin, place a coffee filter at the top of the tube. Spray butane carefully into the tube until the canister is empty, and thick green or brown oil drips from the bottom of the tube into your glass collection jar.
Step 3: Allow the butane to evaporate
When your extraction tube no longer produces any more oils, you can combine the collection container and tube with it to begin the evaporation process. You must use an electric range to avoid a blast if you start this procedure with a gas range. Fill your double boiler halfway with water and place the glass container on top of it. Allow plenty of time for the liquid to evaporate; take away the butane and leave behind shatter. When the shatter stops bubbling, it’s ready.
Step 4: Purge excess butane
You should now have a solid mass of amber-hued shatter. There are, however, still traces of butane remaining in the mix that need to be removed. Place your oil in a glass dish inside the chamber of a 3 cfm one-stage vacuum pump. Excess air and butane will be drawn out through the pump, leaving behind a cleaner, more pure shatter.
Step 5 (Optional): Aerate your shatter
By combining oxygen with your BHO, you may produce wax. Don’t skip this step if your goal is to make wax. This mechanical process influences the consistency of your shatter, resulting in something softer and more malleable for dabbing.
Step 6: Scrape and store
After purging, you may scrape the concentrate from the container with a razor blade and lay it on a sheet of parchment paper to cool. When the concentrate becomes solid, it is known as shatter. Wax results if you aerated it before cooling. All you have to do now is lay it flat on the parchment paper and leave it alone till after it’s completely cooled to room temperature. Simply smoke away!
4 ways to Smoke Shatter
You’re undoubtedly thinking about what you can do with your finished shatter wax after learning how to create it at home. There are several ways to utilize shatter to enhance your smoking experience, which we’ve organized below for you.
You can consume THC wax in the same ways that you would other types of cannabis concentrates, as outlined below.
- Dab it — Dabbing is rather simple. Simply heat up your dab rig using a torch or an e-nail and let it reach approximately 350-450°F. Apply the concentrate to the banger with a dab tool, then seal the vapor with a carb cap. Inhale from the dab rig and enjoy.
- Use it as a bowl topper — If you don’t have a complete dabbing system, you’ll need to learn how to dab without one. One of the greatest things about shatter wax is that it crumbles into little pieces and has a firm texture, making it easier to handle. To help make your flower burn longer and feel more powerful, add shatter to your favorite floral products. Simply mix a few shards of your shatter with the flower in your bowl, bong, or pipe to produce good results. For optimum results, spread it as equally as possible for a smoother, longer-lasting burn.
- Use it in joints or blunts — You may also use shatter in pre-rolls, much like you would with bowl topping. Simply combine the shattered flower and your joint mixture. Alternatively, you may wrap flexible shatter around a pre-roll or heat the shatter to make it thick and dip your pre-rolls inside.
- Add it to a dab pen or vaporizer — You can add your weed shatter to the chamber, adjust the temperature, and take a dab with a dual-use vaporizer or dab pen. It’s a quick and easy way to get dabs without having to worry about any of the equipment required with dabbing.